The Feast of Assurnanipal and Queen. Drawing of basrelief from British Museum.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Post 1: Research brief

Research brief:
I would like to look at Assyrian libraries, in particular King Assurbanipul’s for my Resarch Project. I’m interested in resurrecting my interest in archaeology and ancient history, as this was my major when I did my BA eight years ago now. This is a subject that I only touched on during my studies, and I would like to look into it now for my library studies.
I would particularly like to concentrate on the cataloguing system used in Assurbanipal’s library and the subjects that its material covers. I would also like to look at what ancient texts can tell us about their historical context – ie their reliability and the biases that they might reflect, what the purpose of literacy was at that time, and who was literate then.
I would like to look into the preservation of the libraries and their materials (over time and since they’ve been re-discovered) and their excavation, but only if I’ve got the time and space. This will depend on how much information is available on the other areas that I’d like to look into.

1 comment: